Saturday, January 31, 2009

It finally happened.

I'm sitting on the floor of my empty master bedroom. The house looks really weird, everything is gone. Well, almost everything. What's left are two medium suitcases, full of everyday items, a blanket, bed sheet, small space heater, alarm clock and a large dog bed. Today is my last day at the house because our new tenants move in tomorrow.

I've been sleeping on the floor for the past two days since all the furniture is gone. On Wednesday and Thursday the movers came and hauled everything to storage in California. That basically left me with the clothes on my back and anything I managed to grab before it was put in a box. They even packed my office shoes so now I have to go buy a new pair! It was crazy having to deal with so many strangers in the house (about 6 men) and two dogs who were wondering what was going on. The past two nights for entertainment since the internet is not shut off yet I watched movies on Netflix. Needless to say I haven’t been able to sleep for the past two days because it’s colder when you sleep on the floor (cold air travels down) and because my little dog who rather sleep on my pillow instead of the dog bed he shares with the other medium sized dog. At night when we were ready to go to bed he crawled on my pillow and made himself comfortable which meant laying on my head and when I push him away he growled and got ticked. I haven’t been able to sleep.

Right now, the cleaning lady is here vacuuming upstairs. I hope she doesn't overheat the vacuum, like she did last time, because it's freaking expensive and I don't feel like paying her and then having to pay for a new vacuum. The carpet cleaner guy should be on his way. I want to keep an eye on her because she has a tendency of being sloppy but how do I hover without making it look obvious? I haven’t been able to figure that out.

I've been informed by my LIBF (live in boyfriend) who is already in California that I am supposed to take photographs of the entire house so that we can have it as documentation, in case the new tenants who has four kids ranging from a 16 year to a 3 year old damage anything. Ugh, it feels like I have been doing all the dirty work since he left back in November '08 and he has just been barking orders since then. At least he's paying the bills. So tonight the dogs and I will move back to my old apartment and stay there until it’s time for us to move to California. It’s a real pain and a big down grade from my LIBF’s house which is located in an up and coming upper class neighborhood. The dogs are going to hate moving to the apartment. They are used to running and playing in a big house and now they will be living in a sardine box.

As I look around the house it looks like an empty skeleton, a shell of some sort. Around every corner there’s a memory (good and bad). It makes me sad to think another family will be living here, living the life we wanted, planned to have. My LIBF says I’m being dramatic and that we eventually will move back to DFW but it won’t be the same and who knows what the future holds. I could have gone and stayed in my apartment the past couple of nights but I just didn’t want to go. I didn’t want to drive all the way down there and have to come back early morning to open the door for the cleaning lady and carpet cleaning guy. Also the dogs had their vet appoints this morning and it’s almost down the street from the house. I guess I just didn’t want to let the house go. I wanted to enjoy it until the very end. Tonight we will drive across DFW to my apartment so that the new tenants can start their new lives in our home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment